Sunday, January 25, 2015

Animal Models of Depression

After reading both articles, it is immediately apparent that Bessa is challenging the entire basic claim made by Santarelli. But looking at the dates of the articles is also clear that Bessa is building on the earlier research by asking more thorough questions and going deeper into the cause and effect. These two articles are an example of how the research world works to continually refine their designs and be more definitive about results by covering more bases and looking to ensure that all possibilities are explored.

Santarelli found that neurogenesis is present when antidepressants are administered. The Bessa article took the Santarelli article one step further to look at the effects of the anti-depressants when neurogenesis is blocked. They found that the positive effects of the antidepressants still remained, and then looked at what other changes might be occurring that could now explain how the antidepressants were working. They found that remodeling and development of new synaptic contacts was also occurring, even if neurogenesis was blocked, so this plasticity, not necessarily entirely new neurons, could be a more accurate antidepressant mechanism.


I found the background information in the Santarelli article very helpful. I was appreciative in the quick over view of the hypothalamus and how neurogenesis is thought to work in the brain. But, I found the Bessa paper an overall easier read, with the methods being much more detailed. I found it interesting to compare the different techniques used. I felt that Bessa did a much more thorough and multi-dimensional job of causing and measuring stress. These techniques are of particular interest to me because I am always curious about how using animal models translates into being applicable to humans.

No comments:

Post a Comment